Sunday, July 20, 2008

Our Village Continus To Grow...

Dear Ivy League Connection Students,
Mr. Ramsey ask me to post a message to you and of course I would like to post something relevant to your experience. Something inspiring, that will encourage you to continue to do your best. There are many people in your community who are very proud of your accomplishments. You all have been given a unique opportunity and gift, I hope you seize the day and make the most of it. What Mr. Ramsey and Mrs. Kronenberg have done is so special, they created a program that not only helped you as individual students but has also helped our entire community. They understand that it takes a village to raise a child. I hope that this is what you learn from this experience that when you are given a gift, you appreciate it to it’s fullest and that at some point in the future, you pay it forward to fill some other need that you may see in your village. That way we all continue to contribute to our village to keep improving it. I congratulate each of you for your hard work and I encourage you all to explore your options. Hopefully this experience will show you that you don't have to "settle," the world is at your doorstep. Don't be afraid to knock and enter.

Now, here is the practical part of the advice that I want to give you; below is a recent post in Dear Abby. I think there are many good tips in here for students as well as job seekers. You will soon be applying to colleges, for internships, seeking letters of recommendations etc. Please remember this important information, it may just land you the opportunity of your dreams!
I wish you all great success now and into the future. All the best.

Christina Slamon

Dear ABBY: I am a small-business owner who does the hiring for my company. I hope you will share some suggestions for young people who are now applying for postgraduate jobs.
(1) Every contact with a prospective employer is a mini-interview. Present yourself appropriately. I have received many inappropriate e-mails. Example: "Hey, when would this gig start?" Please remember to use a salutation and communicate politely and clearly.
(2) Many companies post a great deal of information about job openings on their Web sites. Read the site carefully before calling so I won't waste time answering questions you could have answered on your own.
(3) Shortcuts may be cute when text-messaging your friends, but in business they are annoying and unprofessional. Avoid messages such as "Thnx 4 ur help. Talk 2 u later!"
(4) Because I must read your resume and application, please proofread it for spelling, grammar and typos.
(5) Many Internet sites now offer free e-mail. Set up an account using your name or initial so I don't have to e-mail "hotchick99" with an offer to teach young children.
(6) If you have a phone interview, please find a quiet place from which to place the call. It is difficult to understand you above your roommate who is cursing over a video game.
(7) Never, ever tell a prospective employer you are waiting to hear about a job you want more, that pays more or gives you more "fun" time. Simply say you are "exploring all your options," and I will understand.
By the way, Abby, I am not an old fuddy-duddy. I am a 26-year-old professional who expects more from my peers than I have seen. -- EXASPERATED RECRUITER IN NEW JERSEY
DEAR EXASPERATED RECRUITER: Your suggestions are excellent. I am sure they will be appreciated not only by first-time job applicants, but also their prospective employers.

1 comment:

Christina Slamon said...

How embarassing to have a typo in my subject line after giving you the advice to proofread your work. Oh well, life happens - as well as typos!