Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Perils of Packing

After all the stress I endured while preparing to leave for and from Brown last summer, I can't believe that I forgot how difficult packing is. I can heave baggage off of a conveyor belt, endure hours of sitting between two loud breathers with no concept of personal space, but the hardest part of going on a trip will forever be the packing. I like to start by piling everything that I want to take on my bed. For five days, that's about enough to fill 3 suitcases. So I start picking things out- will I need a parka? Probably not. 8 pairs of shoes? A little extensive.

It keeps going like that until what's left can physically fit into the case. But now, even as I second guess the outfits I've chosen, I keep glancing over at the suitcase filled to bursting. It's so very hard to focus on anything other than the fact that I, in a few short hours, will be on a plane to New York City (all by myself!). I'll be there visiting NYU, and on Monday I'll take a train down to Washington D.C. to stay over at American University. I'm really excited to explore both of the campuses and the cities and I can't express all of the gratitude I have for Don, Ms. Kronenberg, and Mr. Ramsey for making this trip possible for me. But for now, those few short hours between now and my flight are becoming shorter by the minute, so I'll just focus on getting on the plane and see how it goes from there.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

What this blog has done, Emily, is show a clear delineation between the male and the female traveler. A guy would have laid out his laptop, his camera, his PDA and all of he chargers, thrown them into a backpack and said “Let’s go!”.

Of course, once we got to our destination we’d mentally kick ourselves for having forgotten our toothbrush or a pair of socks but then we’d just wing it.

Maybe your way has some merits, Emily, but being a male I’ll never know for sure.

The most disappointing part of this blog is we have to rely on just your words about how much was on that bad. No pictures? Oh well...