Monday, December 17, 2012

From ILC Alum Megan Robb

This past semester I took Organic Chemistry; Cell and Molecular Biology; People, Culture, and Society Sociology/Anthropology: and Ethnic Literature. Organic chemistry was extremely difficult and fast passed.  It was my most challenging course and I am very glad that it is over.

My Biology course was focusing more in-depth on the cellular mechanisms and the specifics on how the cell functions.

My intro to sociology/anthropology was very interesting.  We had many discussions about the culture in America both in the past and present.

The Ethnic Literature course was my favorite class this semester. We read and discussed a wide range of literature. Some of my favorite reads were Maus I and II, Crescent, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, and Twilight: Los Angeles 1992. The books that we read in the course looked at Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, White, and Asian culture within America.

At Denison University there are a lot of people from the east and west coasts. Denison has been referred to as an east coast school in the Midwest. In other words, students are very well off and overall preppy. This was a sort of culture shock for me but I have grown to love Denison.

Denison, and college in general, is different from high school in regards to the importance of time management. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of having good time management skills. 

This past semester I was very involved in my sorority, on-campus job, and volunteering.  Therefore I had to be extremely focused and literally had no time for procrastination. As an individual I have become more independent, responsible, and focused. 

This past semester I decided that I wanted to get a soc/anth minor instead of a chemistry minor. I made the change once I realized that I was not pursuing the chemistry minor for the right reasons and that I should focus on something that I am passionate about. 

I have also become better at time management and the very delicate balance between the academic and social aspects of college. 


Thank You,
Megan Robb
Denison University 15'

No comments: