Thursday, June 3, 2010

Penn Alumni Dinner

Sorry this is a bit late, but last Thursday was the University of Pennsylvania alumni dinner. I had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the company, even better.

I had a chance to talk to four Penn alumni. The first was Myra, who graduated from the Wharton School of Business in 2008. She answered any questions I had, and told me her favorite year was when she went to Singapore for a semester to study abroad. I hope to be able to do that when I go to Penn. I also learned she stayed at Hill House her freshman year, which is my first choice for my freshman dorm. She said she had an awesome time and made some great friends.

Next, I met Mr. Phil Schlein who graduated more years back, but nonetheless was one of the main highlights of the night. He told some hilarious and inspiring anecdotes about his life during and after Penn. He gives me hope that I'll be able to do great things after I graduate.


Ms. Beth Topor from the Northern California Penn Alumni association was also there, and her speech just told me that Penn was definitely the best place for me to be.

I also met Joanne, an international student from the Philippines who graduated in 2008. Ms. Kahn, the principal of Pinole Valley High School, and Ms. Kaplan, the assistant principal attended in support of me.

I just want to thank Mr. Ramsey, Ms. Kronenberg, Mr. Gosney, and all the sponsors for giving the opportunity to visit Penn twice and arranging this memorable dinner. My dad and I enjoyed it a lot, and it further convinced me that I have so many people supporting me to go to a wonderful school. I hope this year's students like their visit to Penn as much I did last year.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Cristina,

All of our dinners are interesting but these smaller dinners can be more intimate where we can all talk with each other. When you're in a room with 65 or so people the extent of your conversations tend to be limited to the five or six people immediately around you and although this might make for an entertaining evening we miss out on all of the other conversations gong on throughout the room.

Listing to Phil Schlein is always fun. Myra, Beth and Joanne all added greatly to the evening.

Your own thoughts about your new adventure were especially interesting. I envy you, Cristina.

And let's not forget the fine food. Being a single guy I ALWAYS appreciate a good meal.