Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Enjoyed my stay

I just returned from a long flight after spending four glorious days in Ithaca, New York at Cornell University. I enjoyed this trip even more because I learned so much more about the Campus and its program. I saw that our Summer Studies Students were integrated into the regular campus with full access to all services. I saw them walking to class along with Cornell students who were taking summer classes. I also saw professors who were working on their summer projects. I got to see Cornell students giving guided tours of the campus to interested High School Students. I must say that the guided tours had plenty of interested students.

This is why I am so honored to have twelve of our students taking summer studies classes in Philosophy, Psychology, Hotel Management and Medical History. For our district to have created the Ivy League Connection was innovative, smart and visionary. I saw that we were the only school district in the world that had created such a program. It is truly a delight to be part of it.

I was sad to leave because I had seen such joy and enthusiasm from the students. I am sure that they will do fine and have great stories to tell upon their return.

Finally, it would be nice for them to post daily reports so we have some idea of the challenges that they are facing in being with smart students from around the globe.

That is it for me.

Enjoy the balance of your day. I know that right now you are in Mandatory study programs, so hopefully before you go to sleep you will have something to share with us.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

No comments: